browse words by letter
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z


  1  definition  found 
  From  Webster's  Revised  Unabridged  Dictionary  (1913)  [web1913]: 
  Enclitic  \En*clit"ic\,  Enclitical  \En*clit"ic*al\,  a.  [L. 
  encliticus,  Gr  ?,  fr  ?  to  incline;  ?  in  +  ?  to  bend.  See 
  {In},  and  {Lean},  v.  i.]  (Gram.) 
  Affixed;  subjoined;  --  said  of  a  word  or  particle  which  leans 
  back  upon  the  preceding  word  so  as  to  become  a  part  of  it 
  and  to  lose  its  own  independent  accent,  generally  varying 
  also  the  accent  of  the  preceding  word