browse words by letter
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z


  1  definition  found 
  From  Webster's  Revised  Unabridged  Dictionary  (1913)  [web1913]: 
  Graywacke  \Gray"wacke`\,  n.  [G.  grauwacke;  grau  gray  +  wacke 
  wacke.  See  {Gray},  and  {Wacke},  and  cf  {Grauwacke}.]  (Geol.) 
  A  conglomerate  or  grit  rock,  consisting  of  rounded  pebbles 
  sand  firmly  united  together. 
  Note:  This  term,  derived  from  the  grauwacke  of  German  miners, 
  was  formerly  applied  in  geology  to  different  grits  and 
  slates  of  the  Silurian  series;  but  it  is  now  seldom