browse words by letter
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
jericho

more about jericho

jericho


  4  definitions  found 
 
  From  WordNet  r  1.6  [wn]: 
 
  Jericho 
  n  :  a  village  in  Jordan  near  the  north  end  of  the  Dead  Sea;  in 
  the  Old  Testament  it  was  the  first  place  taken  by  the 
  Israelites  under  Joshua  as  the  entered  the  Promised  Land 
  [syn:  {Jericho}] 
 
  From  U.S.  Gazetteer  (1990)  [gazetteer]: 
 
  Jericho,  AR  (town,  FIPS  35140) 
  Location:  35.28591  N,  90.22731  W 
  Population  (1990):  210  (70  housing  units) 
  Area:  1.2  sq  km  (land),  0.0  sq  km  (water) 
  Jericho,  NY  (CDP,  FIPS  38539) 
  Location:  40.78850  N,  73.54186  W 
  Population  (1990):  13141  (4630  housing  units) 
  Area:  10.3  sq  km  (land),  0.0  sq  km  (water) 
  Zip  code(s):  11753 
  Jericho,  SC 
  Zip  code(s):  29426 
  Jericho,  VT  (village,  FIPS  36625) 
  Location:  44.50178  N,  72.98696  W 
  Population  (1990):  1405  (461  housing  units) 
  Area:  3.6  sq  km  (land),  0.0  sq  km  (water) 
 
  From  Easton's  1897  Bible  Dictionary  [easton]: 
 
  Jericho 
  place  of  fragrance,  a  fenced  city  in  the  midst  of  a  vast  grove 
  of  palm  trees,  in  the  plain  of  Jordan,  over  against  the  place 
  where  that  river  was  crossed  by  the  Israelites  (Josh.  3:16).  Its 
  site  was  near  the  'Ain  es-Sultan,  Elisha's  Fountain  (2  Kings 
  2:19-22),  about  5  miles  west  of  Jordan.  It  was  the  most 
  important  city  in  the  Jordan  valley  (Num.  22:1;  34:15),  and  the 
  strongest  fortress  in  all  the  land  of  Canaan.  It  was  the  key  to 
  Western  Palestine. 
 
  This  city  was  taken  in  a  very  remarkable  manner  by  the 
  Israelites  (Josh.  6).  God  gave  it  into  their  hands.  The  city  was 
  accursed"  (Heb.  herem,  devoted"  to  Jehovah),  and  accordingly 
  (Josh.  6:17;  comp.  Lev.  27:28,  29;  Deut.  13:16)  all  the 
  inhabitants  and  all  the  spoil  of  the  city  were  to  be  destroyed, 
  "only  the  silver,  and  the  gold,  and  the  vessels  of  brass  and  of 
  iron"  were  reserved  and  "put  into  the  treasury  of  the  house  of 
  Jehovah"  (Josh.  6:24;  comp.  Num.  31:22,  23,  50-54).  Only  Rahab 
  "and  her  father's  household,  and  all  that  she  had,"  were 
  preserved  from  destruction,  according  to  the  promise  of  the 
  spies  (Josh.  2:14).  In  one  of  the  Amarna  tablets  Adoni-zedec 
  (q.v.)  writes  to  the  king  of  Egypt  informing  him  that  the  'Abiri 
  (Hebrews)  had  prevailed,  and  had  taken  the  fortress  of  Jericho, 
  and  were  plundering  "all  the  king's  lands."  It  would  seem  that 
  the  Egyptian  troops  had  before  this  been  withdrawn  from 
  Palestine. 
 
  This  city  was  given  to  the  tribe  of  Benjamin  (Josh.  18:21), 
  and  it  was  inhabited  in  the  time  of  the  Judges  (Judg.  3:13;  2 
  Sam.  10:5).  It  is  not  again  mentioned  till  the  time  of  David  (2 
  Sam.  10:5).  "Children  of  Jericho"  were  among  the  captives  who 
  returned  under  Zerubbabel  Ezra  2:34;  Neh.  7:36).  Hiel  (q.v.)  the 
  Bethelite  attempted  to  make  it  once  more  a  fortified  city  (1 
  Kings  16:34).  Between  the  beginning  and  the  end  of  his 
  undertaking  all  his  children  were  cut  off 
 
  In  New  Testament  times  Jericho  stood  some  distance  to  the 
  south-east  of  the  ancient  one  and  near  the  opening  of  the 
  valley  of  Achor.  It  was  a  rich  and  flourishing  town,  having  a 
  considerable  trade  and  celebrated  for  the  palm  trees  which 
  adorned  the  plain  around  It  was  visited  by  our  Lord  on  his  last 
  journey  to  Jerusalem.  Here  he  gave  sight  to  two  blind  men  (Matt. 
  20:29-34;  Mark  10:46-52),  and  brought  salvation  to  the  house  of 
  Zacchaeus  the  publican  (Luke  19:2-10). 
 
  The  poor  hamlet  of  er-Riha,  the  representative  of  modern 
  Jericho,  is  situated  some  two  miles  farther  to  the  east.  It  is 
  in  a  ruinous  condition,  having  been  destroyed  by  the  Turks  in 
  1840.  "The  soil  of  the  plain,"  about  the  middle  of  which  the 
  ancient  city  stood,  "is  unsurpassed  in  fertility;  there  is 
  abundance  of  water  for  irrigation,  and  many  of  the  old  aqueducts 
  are  almost  perfect;  yet  nearly  the  whole  plain  is  waste  and 
  desolate...The  climate  of  Jericho  is  exceedingly  hot  and 
  unhealthy.  This  is  accounted  for  by  the  depression  of  the  plain, 
  which  is  about  1,200  feet  below  the  level  of  the  sea." 
 
  There  were  three  different  Jerichos,  on  three  different  sites, 
  the  Jericho  of  Joshua,  the  Jericho  of  Herod,  and  the  Jericho  of 
  the  Crusades.  Er-Riha,  the  modern  Jericho,  dates  from  the  time 
  of  the  Crusades.  Dr  Bliss  has  found  in  a  hollow  scooped  out  for 
  some  purpose  or  other  near  the  foot  of  the  biggest  mound  above 
  the  Sultan's  Spring  specimens  of  Amorite  or  pre-Israelitish 
  pottery  precisely  identical  with  what  he  had  discovered  on  the 
  site  of  ancient  Lachish.  He  also  traced  in  this  place  for  a 
  short  distance  a  mud  brick  wall  in  situ,  which  he  supposes  to  be 
  the  very  wall  that  fell  before  the  trumpets  of  Joshua.  The  wall 
  is  not  far  from  the  foot  of  the  great  precipice  of  Quarantania 
  and  its  numerous  caverns,  and  the  spies  of  Joshua  could  easily 
  have  fled  from  the  city  and  been  speedily  hidden  in  these 
  fastnesses. 
 
 
  From  Hitchcock's  Bible  Names  Dictionary  (late  1800's)  [hitchcock]: 
 
  Jericho,  his  moon;  his  month;  his  sweet  smell 
 




more about jericho